Wednesday, June 08, 2005

Stories

Everyone has a story. A life story, complete with chapters, plots, twists and turns.
I have been wrestling with this idea for weeks, I want to tell my story.
Not that it will be particularity interesting to anyone, except perhaps me.... Not that I expect anyone to read it or comment on it, but because I want to put a piece of my self down, in writing, publicly.
I believe everyone should do this sometimes, just to gain perspective, to get hidden things out into the open so they can be addressed before being filed away.
I think honesty is important, we often tell of the "pretty" sides of ourselves, the impressive parts and never give a truly honest inventory of ourselves, but it is both the good and the bad, the rights and the wrongs that mold us into the people we are and that help us guide others. I am happy that I had the opportunity to experience both the good and the bad, it has shaped me into someone that I am proud to be. Sometimes our pain makes us compassionate, it is our mistakes that help us make better choices in the future... If it were not for the bad days, how would we recognize the good days? None of us are perfect, none of us grew up in absolute bliss and none are free of regret, yet we all survive (thus far), improve, grow and learn. Hopefully we can pass our stories on, warts and all, for our own growth and for the growth of our children, for our loved ones and those whose lives we touch, even in a small way everyday. Stories provide understanding. Perhaps one day, if you haven't yet, you will pass your story on too.
As adults we often think our stories are unimportant history, but history is what our futures are built upon, it gives us foundation.
In my heart of hearts, I believe we author our own stories, from beginning to end. I do not believe in victims or being tossed into the winds of fate. I believe in experiences without labels and that we have much more control of our destiny then we think. I believe that once we realize that we are in control of our own destiny, one can evaluate the negative aspects of life and rather than asking "why me?", one can ask "what am I to learn from this?".
Richard Bach is one of my favorite authors and I read Illusions The Adventures of a Reluctant Messiah every year or two. I keep an extra copy to pass on if I feel the desire to share. I often draw upon quotes found there and one of my very favorites is: There is no such thing as a problem without a gift for you in its hands. You seek problems because you need their gifts.

This story will have several chapters, some happy, some sad. In some you may not like me much as I have made some poor choices along the way, but from manure, blooms beautiful flowers.
It will be divided into many posts. I will be making regular posts as well and of course Thursdays are reserved for "Half-Nekkid Thursdays". My posts will contain all of the honesty I possess and be told completely from my own perspective. Though my story is still in progress, it does have a happy ending, because I am the author of my own story and choosing how that story go, just like everyone else who chooses to have a good story and a happy ending.

posted by addict @ 6:06 PM |

  • Design by Beccary

  • Blogger